number one sport

One of my dear friends in athletics is writing columns for his local athletics club about track and field being the most favourable sport in the world. A recent survey under his grass roots pupils confirmed this: athletics is their number one sport.
Sometimes I wish I was still that young and innocent.
Last Saturday I was coaching at a local meet here. A supposed to be number one event track and field festival. An open meet. That was the only positive thing is was a meet open for disabled and other athletes.
It was just for the fact I was coaching two junior athletes at this meet otherwise I would have left within the first hour. Why? I took ages for them to run the events. No scoreboards in the field events. No announcements. No nothing. Not even a time schedule. And because it was hot other things were missing: shelters and water for instance. Little kids starting for just one race the whole morning. I could not believe my eyes. Disappointed athletes who train everyday because they could not compete because their age group was not able to get more than two interested. My boy was in a shot put competition with six other boys. It was over after three attempts each and done in about ten minutes. The meeting had a big lunch break and the afternoon session was the same. I was there from 07.30 till 17.45. Nothing happened really.

In my top three of the most stupid competitions in my number one sport this one is number one.

Comments

Popular Posts