Klouchi


Sportist!
Former French long jump star Kader Klouchi now dons the role of an artist through the Art of the Olympians Foundation, writes Aju George Chris.

KADER Klouchi shot into spotlight when he set a French national record in long jump by leaping to 8.30M at a meet in Dijon in 1998. That record still holds good.
Klouchi retired in 2004 and became a full-time painter. A founding member of the Art of the Olympians Foundation, he was recently in Doha for an exhibition of his works.
Klouchi spoke to Doha Stadium Plus about his art and sports life as well as his future plans.
Excerpts:

How did the exhibition go?
I displayed my paintings at an exhibition at the Qatar Sports Club, as part of the IAAF Qatar Super Athletics Grand Prix. I also held exhibitions at the Doha Sheraton hotel and ASPIRE Academy. The academy liked the way I combined art with sports. I'm happy with our association and hope to return soon. My next exhibition will be in Toulouse, France. I'll then go to the IAAF World Championships in Berlin, Germany.

Can you elaborate on the Art of the Olympians?
The foundation was started in 2005 and it's dedicated to demonstrate the relationship between art, sports and the public. It features touring art exhibits, including painting, photographs and sculptures by former athletes. If the Olympic Games are a celebration of human physical capability, Art of the Olympians tries to emphasise that celebration through art.
American long jumper Bob Beamon, who won an Olympic gold medal in Mexico in 1968, is one of the most famous athletes associated with it.

What was the public's response to the exhibition?
Some people were curious about my work and came forward to talk to me. However, I feel that things could've been better. Probably, they were seeing an exhibition of sports-related paintings for the first time. I'm happy that I could create awareness of the Art of the Olympians among them.

You were a top athlete before turning to painting. Which role do you like more?
There're a few similarities between a sportsman and a painter. Each profession requires total dedication. One has to continue practise until he becomes the best. For me, painting and athletics helped express myself well. Both are close to my heart. I can't say one is dearer than the other.
Art influences people, especially children. I see it as a perfect way to encourage them to keep away from doping. Art is a powerful medium and I'll try to make full use of it.

Your national mark still stands. Do you expect it to be broken soon?
It was an honour to set a new French mark in '98. However, I don't want it to stand forever. I've known the thrill of breaking a national record and I want another athlete to feel the same. If someone shatters it, I'll be the first to congratulate him. No record should stand indefinitely. Only constant betterment can help sports advance.

What're your comments on the Qatar Super Grand Prix.?
I loved the mood created by an enthusiastic crowd. The weather was perfect for sprinters and field athletes. My only regret is that I never competed here during my active days as an athlete. Had somebody briefed me about this great event, I would've certainly taken part in it. I hope to be associated with this country for a long time in the future.

(c)Aju George Chris @ doha stadium plus (DSP)

Comments

Popular Posts